I have mixed feelings about this picture. I love it because it is a youthful picture of my mom. I liked it so much that I had it framed. I then asked Mom if I could hang it up in her room. She gave me permission but added in rueful tones that she didn't like the picture because she didn't like the dress. She didn't say why she didn't like the dress. Maybe she didn't like the fit or design. I don't know. I loved the fact that she was happy here. I loved seeing pictures of her happy.
The picture is taken at my dad's Aunt Gertrude's house on Clark Street in Denver. My mom came to work for Aunt Gertrude, my dad's mom's sister, right out of high school which ended at the 8th grade. I don't know why I am thinking of it now, but since I am thinking of it now let me state that my mom was born in Bisbee, Arizona.
Bisbee, 1916
Apparently, there was a deportation move by the Bisbee government. The wages were probably rising and people heard about it and convened there. When the population grew too high, people had to go. What an awful thing to be hauled up onto a train and shipped out of town.



No comments:
Post a Comment