This was written about the first week of February, 2010
. . . because it steals love away. The work it takes to build love—those are our memories. One has to start all over again with fewer resources. Guess I’d better get started.
. . . because it steals love away. The work it takes to build love—those are our memories. One has to start all over again with fewer resources. Guess I’d better get started.
I now thought of death in the third person because it was more incarnate. Before it rested in the back of my head as something psychological, something distant, and something that could be conquered in poetry or art. I now had disdain for art and artist, who’d so egotistically believe that writing about death, was somehow an act to overcome it. Tell that to my mother, who was lying on the other side of consciousness.
The indomitable Celestine “Sally” Ann Walgenbach was conquered Wednesday night by complications from pneumonia. [As doctors used her age against her to account for her demise, I want to use it here to celebrate her] she possessed an unmatched tenacity and a set of remarkable survival skills: Sally lived courageously and intelligently in each of her 89 years. Way to go, Ma! She spent her last hours at home with her sons and daughters and grandchildren on whom she showered love, energy, and joy over the decades. She was a hero to scores, enabled no one, gave birth to eight, and is survived by seventeen, adoring grandchildren. We love you, Mama. Your strength and power is multiplied in us. thank you for your courage and for you love. You are forever in our hearts and on our minds.
The bell tolls loud and far for this incredible woman whose life was filled with so much joy in her final years.
No comments:
Post a Comment